Friday, October 12, 2007

The Pogues had it right

You know the statement "Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield"? It strikes me as a somewhat lacking expression---we need to find a better metaphor that captures those times when you're the bug, and you see the windshield coming towards you, notice it, wonder about it, finally identify it, and then get splattered anyway.

That rumination aside, things are going well! I made staff at GreenPeace (where I work now, by the way), so as long as I can maintain a fairly reasonable quota per week, I should be in the clear as far as rent and food are concerned. I think I need to re-work my schedule a bit so that I can have at least one day off per week (right now I work every day, between Bud's Cafe, GreenPeace, and the box office---different hours, but still- it's nice to have one day free a week). I figure that will be easier come the end of October.

Saw a good play tonight---"Thyestes", by Senneca, directed by JoAnne Akalitis, adapted by Caryl Churchill. Intense, a lot of really cool ideas, some very intense interpretation/staging, yet a production that I think stayed close not only to the play itself but also to the intentions. Saw it with Hannah, a friend from high school who I have not seen for far too long, and hopefully will get to see more of in the coming time.

Other than that---I don't work tomorrow until 11:30, so I'm curling up with Battlestar and a glass of wine. A nice end to a week, in many ways.

No comments: