Sunday, October 14, 2007

Moderately Good Intentions

A few ruminations before I pass out:

-Canvasers can tell when you're not going to sign something for them. We can usually tell before we even approach you. Its almost frightening how quickly I'm seeing the patterns. I clearly have a very long way to go--- but even now, just a few days in, I can tell pretty well. Suprisingly enough, the easiest answer to hear is the insincere "I don't have time"---it lets us know that we shouldn't even try. That being said---as much as I know I annoy a few people every day, I think I leave about as many people laughing as they walk away---with me, rather than at me. The "at me's" are a little harder to deal with, though less so than the disgusted people. Or the really weird ones (see next).

-A man today muttered for a long chunk of time about shooting me, then asked me why trees where being killed. When I said "Paper", he said "Recycling. Next. Why're trees being killed?" So I said "Kleenex." And he said "Recycling. We already did this, man. Why you playing around with me? Why they killing trees?" So I said "I'm not sure what you're looking for." This prompted him to wonder why I was playing around, then said that he would "knock me out, except I'm the wrong color." Then he said, "Buildings man. Buildings are why they're killing trees." I started canvasing away from him after that.

-As the title of the post reflects, I'm feeling goodwill towards my fellow man, but in a...not selective, but perhaps flexible manner. This has nothing to do with work, and more to do with life. I'm going to be a good person, but maybe force a couple of issues as well. I'm not trying to be obtuse, I'm actually just really struggling with this concept at 3 am. We'll see.

-Saw "White Rabbit", had some interesting elements, pushed me to start going through "All Day Permanent Red" again---I'm starting to pick out passages, writing will hopefully begin soon. Once again, I'm enthraled by Logues' language, control, and ingenuity.

-I want to watch the "Battlestar" miniseries with someone. It's a chunk of film that is fun to share.

-I think life is getting fun again. That's exciting.

2 comments:

Nate said...

I appreciate that you update your blog with a certain modicum of regularity, Jeff. I enjoy knowing how you're doing.

Wiry said...

Canvassing is one of the most awkward things for me - I almost always agree with the politics, but being spoken to on the street rattles me immensely. Ex: Harvard Square. I've just secured a copy of Phyllis Nagy's plays for dirt cheap. Then, someone thrusts a printout picture of FDR in my face.

"DO YOU KNOW WHO THIS IS?"
I pause, giving my brain time to adjust to this new context.
"Yes," I say.
"YOU DON'T KNOW WHO THIS IS? IT'S FDR, HE CREATED THE NEW DEAL."

So I walked away, frazzled and sad. But I imagine being canvassed by you to be quite the pleasant experience. That sounds dirty. Ahem...

Incidentally, I've joined the blog club too! Wheeeee!

- Anthony