Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Drip-Drip-Drip goes the water....

Dreamed about directing last night. Then I couldn't get back to sleep, which I guess is why it's 7:45, I've already read a play, had breakfast, made lunch, and read yesterday's RedEye. Weird play, as well---it was in the Hill, but it was a massively huge version of the theatre, with an enormous set- which, if I'm remembering correctly, had an expanding and contracting model of the Colosseum. Also, there were 12 ft versions of the 'droids with the beaks from the newest Star Wars movies doing synchronized dances. We were doing a first run through, though for some reason there was a full audience, and I had never seen the second act---so it was all a suprise to me. People were being very critical of it, though I kept trying to remind them that this was the first time the actors had put the show on its feet, and that they were very talented, etc.

I get my first real paycheck from GreenPeace today, will be interesting---I get to see how well I've been budgeting, see if I need to cut back. I feel like I've been living above my means, though maybe that's just because I'm still at the point of needing to buy somewhat expensive things (couches, bookcases) for the apartment. I think I need to keep a little better track of what I'm spending and what I'm making. We'll look at the first couple of weeks in November, see how that goes.

Weighing in on "The Golden Compass"---I havn't done enough research, seen all the trailers---although I do remember getting a little tingly when seeing the first preview in theatres. What I'm most disappointed by so far (visually) are the panzerbjorn. From their brief appearances, they just don't seem...impressive enough. I mean, there's such a visceral quality to their description---these clanking, heaving, utterly massive, completely terrifying and bestial creatures. I imagine this brutal grinding sound when they walk, and a presence that should overwhelm to say the least. I feel like they ended up looking a little skinny in the preview---although we'll have to see.

Friends, the preview that enthuses me a whole lot less right now? "Beowulf". You figure with Gaiman, and a couple of decent actors, it would be cooler...but something about it rings false. More so though, the pictures of Grendel that they showed were completely un-inspiring. Slavering, bulky, pustulant--these are words I think should describe the greatest of all "creature-monsters". This conception looks downright spindly. Also, does most of the preview need to be Angelina Jolie looking sexy? It may just be that I've never really found her that attractive (I know, I know--I'm soulless, I have no taste, whatever), but was that really what Beowulf was about? I mean, is the next project an uber-racy "Watership Down" where she plays an over-pouty Fiver?

(Also staring Daniel Craig as Bigwig, Jude Law as El-hama...whoever the Rabbit Messiah was...wait, I actually think Jude Law would be amazing in Watership Down. Maybe even Mr. Craig as well. Ryan, call their people, see if we can set something up.)

Hope everyone is well. More philosophical rantings later.

OH! HAPPY HALLOWEEN! I almost forgot.

Woooooooooo......

1 comment:

easteighth said...

I saw the Beowulf preview here in Istanbul and completely agree! I'm also disappointed with the Golden Compass so far.

The meat of my comment: when I was 7 years old I saw a ballet performance in Italy of the Titanic sinking that had an expanding and collapsing model of the ship's hull. And the last scene had about 8 huge refrigerators with tvs in their freezer sections on top showing images of the surface of the ocean swaying back and forth with the waves...I still remember it.