Friday, October 19, 2007

Relaxing at home

...is a nice way to start a friday night. Hooray for not working every hour of the day!

A Mackeson's triple stout, some tofu in my belly (cooked with a really good mango/lime salsa bought at a farmer's market...I am turning in to such a degenerate hippie), the pleasent prospect of a short bout of laundry followed by a night on the town with Erin/Dan/possibly others. All very good.

Tidbit from yesterday: ran into two different Kenyon people within an hour or so---Rubin from 2 Drink Min., and Andy Braddock. Hooray for the Kenyon Magnet that is Chicago!

From today: who wants to see "30 days of Night" with me?

Now: in response to Anthony's fine work: another top 10 list. Ten significant songs. In no particular order.
(Subnote- Applause to Messr. Merril for a thought-provoking list that made me miss BNL. I, however, have never been closeted about my enjoyment of the Barenaked Ladies.

Without further ado: significant Jeff songs:

1: "Broad Majestic Shannon": The Pogues

There's something too perfect about this song. It represents life in under six minutes. If you like irish music at all, or ballad-ish songs, or life in general, I recomend you listen to this.

2: "Where I want to be", from the musical "Chess"

I feel like this is a product of ambition? Or maybe one of the downsides of always being hungry. Not like hungry for food, but you know...hungry.

3: "What do I have to do?" by Stabbing Westwards

This is every time I've been in love. Trite? Maybe. Oh well.

4: "Gone, Gonna Rise Again": John Mcutcheon.

I wouldn't mind having a descendant of mine sing this at my funeral. Its not as creepy as it sounds, certainly not about zombies.

5: "Stray Bullet": KMFDM

For the more intense times in life. One of the ultimate pump-up songs, but not filled with huge guitars, thundering drums, or anything else out of the Highlander soundtrack. It's pure Cowboy/Diva/Anti-Christ/Techno Swagger. Check it out.

6: "Keasby Nights": Catch 22

If just for the line "When they come for me/I'll be sitting at my desk/With a gun in my hand/Wearing a bullet-proof vest/Singing 'My my my how the time does fly/ When you know you're gonna die by the end of the night'"

7: "Smash" by The Offspring

Perhaps an unusual choice from the album of the same name- but there's something nice about the sentiment.

8: "Pittsburgh's going to the Superbowl": Various artists

Dave, what is this song actually called? This belongs here for obvious reasons.

9: "Motorcycle Drive-By" by Third Eye Blind

If you've never heard this song, go listen to it now.
"I've never been so alone/And I've never been so alive"
It's those times out in the woods at night. Or when you leave the party to sit in the grass and watch the stars, or just to listen.

10: "What About Everything" by Carbon Leaf

Let's book end this list with another song that encompases life. Really. I really do think this song sums up at least one significant aspect of my life.

"I think about time for fun/I think about time for play/Then I think about being done/With no Resume/With no-one left to blame/What about fortune and fame?/What about your love to retain?/What about the ring?/What about...what about everything?"

Although I think its actually a balance that I've struck. Because my resume is full of things that were fun. So...take that, establishment! We can be happy and career-oriented all at the same time!

Honorable mention goes to "Summer of '69" (because of B2), "The Sea" by Carbon Leaf, "Boys of Summer" by the Ataris (summer love in a song), and "Leaving of Liverpool" by Gaelic Storm.

No comments: