Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Creatures of Culture

Continuing in my expolrations of the Chicago cultural scene, I attended what I can only term a "salon" last night. Not a place where my hair would be put into new, exotic stylings (though I do need a haircut), nor a dusty, western alehouse (I guess that's a saloon, but it always confused me), no, this was the full out French Enlightenment style gathering of artists to read works, then drink wine and talk about said pieces of writing.

I got an email from a friend a few days ago, letting me know about it--she's in London, and as such wouldn't be there, but thought it would be a fun thing. So I put on a sport coat, hopped on the Damen bus, and went up to this woman's house way up north. It was a mix of writers, actors, and miscelaneous arts-types, mostly 30's and 40's. Once the host figured out who I was, and why I was there, she introduced me all around, was very, very kind, and generally helped me get to know people. Heard some really good writing, met some very nice people, and had a grand old time. It didn't occur to me the ballsy-ness of the whole thing until my host looked at me and said: "So, you came up here, alone, not knowing anyone?" I guess I had figured no-one would know anyone, rather than it being a lot of these woman's friends hanging out in her living room. Also, I wasn't expecting to be the only youngster. I'm ok with it though.

The saga of the night was not over, however. By the time the night was over, I realized the Damen bus, which had served me so well in getting me up there, had stopped running. So! I walked to Ashland, thinking I would simply take that bus straight down to Div/Mil/Ash. Unfortunatly, as we were at the _far_ end of the Damen line, it turned out the Ashland bus didn't run anywhere near there. So, I simply started walking on Ashland towards the city, figuring I would either eventually reach home or find a bus. After about two miles, I hit a bus stop, waited for a bit, and got on the good old #9. In that time, I had the chance to call and catch up with Mr. Proctor, which hadn't happened in a long, long time. So, time well spent---plus, I got some good exercise.

Well, I should go get ready to head off to work.
Hope all is well!
Best,

-J

No comments: