Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Loooooooost...in the wilderness

So--do you know what has been seeming pretty cool lately?

The Appalachian trail.

Hmmmm....


[EDIT]
At the risk of commiting myself to too much or nothing at all--it's been a persistent thought of mine. What it may come down to is how my time in Chicago between now and May goes---I've been feeling deprived of the Chi-town lifestyle (then again, with the exception of a two day drop in, I really haven't been there in a month). I've most likely got arts stuff in May, June, and August, meaning I could justify a month of "personal betterment time" in July...hmmmm. Whatever happens, I won't be doing the full thing this year (it takes 5-7 months to complete)...but July is tempting me...and it would be a really, really wonderful "life experience."

8 comments:

Spelunker said...

I've always wanted to do the Appalachian Trail! I've visited various stop points on it and found it insanely cool.

Nate said...

DO IT

AHHHHHH DO IT

S0PHIE8 said...

Well, if you make it to the Maine part of the AT, look me up!

S0PHIE8 said...

July would probably be ideal, honestly, if you want to do long chunk. It won't be too hot or cold, although it will be humid, and I guess mosquitoes are always around, but I don't think they are that bad. And the humidity isn't that bad. Early July would be best by my guess. August is much hotter on the whole. It is usually around 75 degrees where I live, but that is way more coastal, probably about 10 degrees more on average where the AT is. Although with the elevation I don't know, I am just judging from what I know further southern and inland. I know some people who have done it though, so I can ask if and when you want.

easteighth said...

do NC. Don't listen to Sophie. Seriously. And I could totally hook you up with people in a hell of a lot of the state.

The Blue Ridge Mtns are totally more beautiful than Maine in July. Any time of the year.

Also, one of my oldest friends did her senior thesis thingy in sociology on people who do the whole AT. So she knows a lot. And I want to hike it, too.

easteighth said...

how's the busking, by the way? keeping the El alive?

S0PHIE8 said...

Maine is way more beautiful. Annie is crazy and doesn't value her home state or else she would be there and not in a) Istanbul or b) thinking about doing a program in Maine. Clearly Maine is better. And I will buy you a lobster.

Traveler72 said...

Do it. What's stopping you apart from material needs?

And I don't know the exact trail, but I feel like it runs relatively close to my neck of Pennsylvania. Closer than Pittsburgh and Chicago at least. Drop me a line and maybe I can meet up with you for a day of it or something... who knows.

I hope everything's going well at Kenyon!