Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Stop saying "Don't quote me"...

...cause if nobody quotes you, you probably haven't said a thing worth saying.
(Everybody go listen to "Dogma" by KMFDM, right now. Oh, the finest of German Industrial)

These days, its hard to know what city I'm in. State, even.

I'm in Columbus now, about to go back to Gambier. A few interesting things yesterday:

Went to the Salt Lake airport at 8 am, got to Columbus at around 11 pm. This involved several re-routed connections, a night almost spent in Chicago, and then in New York City. Flew to O'hare from SLC, then almost flew to St. Louis because of delayed planes, but on the last minute went to LaGuardia. After a bit of time there, finally got back to CMH.

The interesting thing? Spent each flight with a different group of intense religious people. Sat at the gate and flew out of SLC with a bunch of Mormon kids, out on their first mission---tried to get me interested in the Book of Mormon (which I am, though unfortunatly not in the way he wants me to be), and then just kinda hung out---talked about football, the world, traveling, etc. Then I flew to LaGuardia with a bunch of Orthodox jewish folks--was comforting, I'm not around them much in Chicago, so it made me feel a little bit at home.

The kicker, though? In LaGuardia, I ran into none-other than the tall bearded Middle Path Preacher! I ran up to him, and had this moment of... "Wow! How are you? How have you been?" I think he was pretty suprised---definitly recognized me, but couldn't figure out where I was from. When I explained that I was from Kenyon, he clearly remembered who I was, and stiffened up a bit...which was fine also. He remembers...and he fears. Or...something like that.

Anyway--was an interesting day, didn't get quite enough work done, but if I scrabble today, I should be able to make it up. Basically, I was away from corespondance a little too long, and didn't get a chance to read over some of the things people sent me. We'll make it work, though.

2 comments:

Cherubino/Carmen said...

REALLY?!!

That guy??!!!

Can he spell and write grammar now??

Spelunker said...

Ha, the Middle Path Preacher was scared of you! I can't blame him: I bet you through some pretty tough rhetoric his way back in Kenyon days. ;o)

I, too, have been traipsing all about the country lately. I spent over 30 hours on a Greyhound bus from Boston to Raleigh and met all sorts of interesting (re: sketchy as hell) folks along the way. One guy was convinced I was sleeping with my girl friend who I was going to visit because, in his words, "How you gonna go from Boston all the way down to Raleigh jus' fo' a friend? Nah, nah, you sleepin' wif her, ain't you? Admit it!"

Sometimes I wonder if the cheap price is really worth the actual bus ride...