Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Multiplicity

There may or may not be a multitude of posts tonight.

First, an explination for my absence: last week, my maternal grandmother passed away somewhat suddenly, but not completely unexpectedly: she was 91, and as some of you might now, had significant dementia (interesting sidebar: of all of the people I know at Kenyon, I think Rose Proctor is the only one who has met my maternal Grandparents. Lily might have--I'll have to check with her).
Anyway, this happened the day after I left Pittsburgh for Chicago---so, back on the plane, back home. We had a wake on sunday---was a very difficult, but ultimately very special experience: Grandma had always said that she didn't want people crying over her, she wanted laughing and drinking. So- while there may not have been much laugher (there was some), or that much drinking (we did do a few toasts)--it ended up being a simple, helpful, and positive experience. I spent a good chunck of it with my (93 year old) grandfather--it was a very solid moment of clarity for him, and I was very glad that I was able to spend the time with him. Being able to write this is also helpful--I wasn't ready earlier, but this is good.

Yesterday (monday) was difficult: the possible edge of a fever, lack of sleep, and emotional chaos was a little rough on me, especially with my drive to Columbus. Made it safely, though. An odd night: after napping a bit in the day, I was staring wide-eyed at the ceiling in a way that I havn't done since I started working for GreenPeace. Eventually, I had a moment where I was partialy convinced I might have been in an accident on the drive home: that this was a dream, or an illusion, and that I was actually in a hospital bed (or worse). Reminded me that it was a little harder to tell dreams from reality than is necessarily pleasant. I also had a string of very developed and bizarre dreams: Bob Egan offering me a chance to direct a play about chinese-american life that was going on a multiple state prison tour, being in a play with middle-schoolers about the X-men, digging up bodies in a strange earth excavation/cave area (which was significant because it didn't allow me to rehearse for the X-men play), and more.

Fortunatly, I woke up this morning well-rested: (again) as many of you may know, I become significantly more pleasent, presentable, and sane when I have slept. Went to Trader Joe's in Easton for some provisions, then drove into Kenyon in an spat of amazingly beautiful and suspiciously spring-like weather. I'm now here, situated in my new living space (sub-let from a professor), and doing quite well, thanks-very-much. Need to work out the last details of transportation, but frankly, I think this is going to be a very nice place to be. I feel like I'm going to have the chance to be really productive here (its off-campus a fair ways, well past the community center and Wiggin street school on wiggin st).

Well! This post was a little more of a window into my psyche than most have...Anyway, watch for a New Years post soon. Thank you for bearing with me.

1 comment:

Traveler72 said...

I'm no dream analyst, or a psychotherapist, or anything like that, but I want to take a shot at digesting your dreams:

I'll be honest, I don't know what the Chinese-American play going on Prison Tour is all about. Maybe it's what could be a great oppurtunity (directing a play for Bob Egan, which at least has echoes of American Hwangap), that's a little more unconventional that you bargained for. Maybe it came from larger career worries: will you only get to direct for prisoners? Maybe it came from something completely different.

Again, I'm no dream analyst. I probably sound really pretentious expounding like this. But, the most interesting one you mentioned was directing middle schoolers in a play about the X-Men. Literally, I did that in second grade, not directed, but like made up a play about spider man with my brothers. So many dramatists site running around as kids just PLAYing as their first dramatic experience. I'm just taking a stab in the dark to assume it means something similar to you. So you've got the ideal job, and then in comes a call away from what you love to excavate bodies, to deal with death, to excavate it from yourself. The question is, how does Dream-Jeff come back out of the excavation after he's gone in?

From your entry you sounded like you had a pretty firm grasp on it already, I'm probably just reiterating things, but I am sorry to hear about your grandmother.