Thursday, January 17, 2008

Tragic

This post is a touch overdue, but:

Had the first class yesterday.

I think it went well?

Regardless: it was a LOT of fun. The students talked, and much of what they had to say was interesting.

Also: I feel like, to some degree, I re-discovered my love for Greek Tragedy. But Jeff! (I hear you say) You've always loved it! Isn't that the whole idea?

Well, yes. You see, though---the problem is, it's been "my thing" for long enough that I've just been going along with it---not questioning why I liked it, just knowing that I did, or that I was supposed to. However--I remember why now, and it's not even something as wishy-washy as "Timeless themes, still speaks to us, etc." There is a certain degree to which this stuff is fun, because it's hard--you read these plays, and I don't get them. Nothing makes sense. So you read them again, and again, and again, and then...there it is. Somehow, because of that fight, they're all the more interesting.

Oh, plus, timeless themes, still important, socially critical, blah blah blah blah....

1 comment:

Cherubino/Carmen said...

You're leaving me with the children of okcupid single mothers??

You beech!!

How did your first class go??