Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Years (at last)

EDITOR's NOTE: Written New Years Day, around 8:30 pm or so.
This is somewhat less interesting when written out (and self-censored) than I might have hoped, but...such is life. It was one of the best New Years so far.
===================

Plane is delayed, so I'm back at Mother's house, sitting on a couple of packed bags.

New Years was...well, exactly what New Years is supposed to be.

This will be a scattershot summary, in no particular order. I think that best captures the way it went:

-Almost killed Amy Ream with a champagne cork, as I discoverd why there are the little wire cages on the tops of the bottles---because when you remove them, and just hold the bottle for a while, the cork flies out when you're least expecting it.

-This also resulted in Amy Waffles getting covered in champagne.

-Brian and Charlie's party was great---got to see a lot of people I hadn't seen since high school, had a long conversation about the death of the music industry with Lauren, learned frightening things about chemistry students, and generally enjoyed myself.

-Abe's party was loud. The good kind of loud, though. We actually watched the ball drop this year, and counted along, and shouted a lot.

-My first new years resolution was to get health insurance.

-Part way through the night, I also resolved to remember that my tolerance is way, way lower than it was in college.

-Apple Juice and Vodka is a good enough drink that it needs a name. While the "DGJG", perhaps (for it's two main proponents). "New Year's Disaster" seems like a fitting title, it seems more appropriate to allow a name to naturaly appear: much like the "Orange Yurovsky" or the "Pale Irishman", two dynamite drinks created and named by associates of mine.

-Had a wonderful time hob-nobbing with the older folks at Dan's family's New Years party. It seems likely that I'm the only non-Gespass who has attended every party that's been thrown for the last 14 years (although, with more recolection, I believe I've missed two: I was in NYC once, and CA once).

-Dan peer-pressured me into getting a really good sandwich the next day. Proof that, often, its best to listen to Dan.

-Went to Eat n' Park at the very end of the night...perhaps 5 am? Tried to consume "breakfast buffet." Failed in style.

-Crashed on Dan's couches, as is traditional.

-While at Abe's, knocked a screw out of my glasses, and stole Sam's glasses to fix them in a stunning display of clever ingenuity and suprising physical dexterity.

-May or may not have stepped on/slept on/generally mangled glasses while at Gentry's house. Glasses are now "slightly askew", in a manner simmilar to the "Great Football Incident" of 2006.

-Discovered the dangers of flying the day after new years.

-Wore "banker" shirt. Was asked about consolidating mortages.

-Brought two girls named Amy around with me. Took great satisfaction in being able to introduce them as "Both Amy. So you can remember." Also brought two Dan's with me. Hmmmmm....

Alright. So that's about how I remember it going. Here's to the new year!

No comments: