Thursday, February 7, 2008

Music, Writing, Trails, and Myst

In Columbus, spent a day or so out here after wednesday's class. I'll be heading back into Gambier to see "Blood," then most likely staying there until class next wednesday.

Chicago was wonderful, I'm settling in to the rhythm of the back and forth a little better now that it's more regular.
(That was an aesthetically unpleasing sentence, but I don't think I'm going to fix it. Ah well.)

Appalachian Trail: I've decided that this July is not the time for it, but its in the future at some point. I'm going to need July in Chicago---but I'm going to try to spend at least a good chunk of the summer camping. In addition, I was very encouraged both by the positive feedback, and the number of people who said they might be interested in walking part of it. So, for those of you who are in foreign nations (Annie, Amy), we'll talk when you get back stateside, yes? Others who might be interested---we'll talk, neh?

Finally got back in the saddle with writing---not sure how/why it worked, but man--felt good.
Seeing "Blood" tonight, Flogging Molly next weekend with Karen...these are both exciting things.

A small side note: I recently borrowed the 2nd season of Lost, finally got around to watching the last few episodes. I think I realized why I like (not love, not thoroughly enjoy) the show---I mean, other than the fact that they're written in such a way that each episode is, in the end, both psychologicaly and chemicaly addictive). The whole series...its like someone filmed 3 years of someone playing Myst! Seriously---mysterious island, strange technological bunkers, unexplained heiroglyphics, a code that just happens to be written on the outside of the hatch, which you need to enter into a computer inside? Also, the "Other's" huts in the end of the second season are _straight_ out of Riven. Its like someone was playing Myst, and thought---you know what? This would make a great TV show, if people could die in it.

A final note:

Amazing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHIv39-A1Xk&feature=user

"Outside around the side
form a circle forward- I'm an
outsider on the side
formerly a farm-boy

Inside I'm on the side
i'm divided undecided
back then around again
second time's a charm boy"


Also: Sean McGowan is the "real thing." I couldn't be this crusty if you stuffed me with flour and yeast and baked me at 450 f for 80 minutes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cjG7pO1J9I&feature=user
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig3EjNlKP5M&feature=related
But damn, does he write a beautiful song. The second video is a bit hard to watch though, isn't it?

No comments: