Sunday, February 24, 2008

Show, don't tell

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."

-Carl Sagan
(thanks, Google-taskbar-quotes-thing)

===

Here's to spring, to all we've loved and all who loved us,
to all the lovers and the love they made.
Nothing that was between them was a mistake.
All that we did for love's sake was not wasted, and will never fade.

-Garrison Keillor
(thanks, Lily's facebook profile)

===

Broke out my HS senior yearbook this weekend, at Reid's request. Funny, looking through the things people wrote there---both the actual close friends, and the acquaintances that I had write just to keep a record for myself, of the small things that happened which I'll inevitably forget about until I open the book again.

I grow more and more convinced that "Lost" is really just a filmed version of "Myst."

There was a note in the yearbook from a girl who I had a huge crush on, and have since...forgotten about? Not really---I am still aware of her existence, though we haven't talked in several years---but I had _forgotten_ in some significant way until I read through the yearbook. I guess that's why we keep these things, hmm?

For the first time, there is something indescribably exciting about a world outside of this one. I walked out under the streetlights in the parking lot, and almost figured something out, but then Daniel came and gave me a ride the rest of the way home. I'm kind of glad it got interupted---I'm not quite ready to figure it all out yet. Something very exciting about it, though.

2 comments:

Traveler72 said...

I've been having a few near-epiphanies myself. There's some sublime something poking into my view, I just can't figure it out yet.

And for the record:

I know all about the shield, but I couldn't just give her that versus Bob Egan with Mark-Taper Forum, or the Slonz with her Nano-Bots, or the sheer strength of Paula Turner. She needed a complete set of armor beyond just the shield.

Though, I know, the shield is the cool part.

And you're writing a play of the Illiad? Can I see it some time?

RM said...

Everyone is having epiphanies. Or near epiphanies. I never have near epiphanies. Does this mean I'm dumb?


....I just realized I'm dumb.

Epiphany!