Monday, March 10, 2008

This old house would have burned down a long time ago...

Realizing that it's been about a week since I've posted. Sorry folks---I'd say I was busy, but really, I think somehow the link to Blogger got accidentaly cut from my bookmarks, so I just forgot to check.


Thing that have happened, in no particular order:

-Anna Stevens and I went to the "Oriental Museum" down at U Chicago. If you're in Chicago, I highly recomend it---free, and it has some amazing stuff in it. Coming face to face with a Persian Bull-head...stone, maybe 15-20 feet high, weighing...I don't know how many tons...was pretty unforgettable. I actually felt the need to drop to my knees in front of it. The Persians knew what they were doing, as did the exhibit designers.

-I've developed an almost crippling self-doubt in relation to the use of apostrophes in various forms of "it's" and "its." I find myself re-working sentences to avoid the danger of using them, just in case. I blame our growing reliance on spell-check---I think generally, a spellchecker will improve one's spelling (seeing a word spelled right over and over again might naturally change one's memory)--but in this case, it won't catch it, and does not provide help for the grammatical rules. This case isn't even about forgetting the rule: it's suddenly not having a safety net. Did you see that? I reworked that sentence two or three times, and got stuck with the word anyway.

-Someone complemented me on my use of "---" when communicating on IM. Felt nice.

-Music has been moving along nicely--we had one of those "organic moments" that are so wonderful---we just naturally started playing "Knocking on Heaven's Door", using Mandolin and Concertina---it was pretty nice. Also, finally got to hear Steph sing and play a few songs---very, very cool. I'm excited.

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQi72ffzul8

-Worth checking out: "Morningwood", especially the song "Nth Degree" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCXNf4pVVsI)

-I just caught the obscene reference.

-And should have suspected it--she's married to Jimmy Urine, of MSI...who are still proving the punk is weirder and less comfortable than anything else, despite it's best attempts to sell out.

-Also, the video for "Pump it" by the Black Eyed Peas is hilarious, and it isn't the worst song.

-There are several ways to abbreviate "it is not"

-Basically, I had a moment (a while ago) of realizing...damn, life is good. I'm so glad to be playing music again.

-I've decided not to revise the spelling as rigorously as I should in this post...so you folks going through it with a fine-tooth comb, eat your heart out.

-I had a beer with a couple of older friends a few days ago...it was fun/helpful/encouraging. They're happy people, doing interesting things. I think I can do the same. Life is taking shape.

No comments: