Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Missed

Three deaths in the (very) recent past that make me sad, all to different levels, and with different reasons. After my Grandmother passed away, a lot of that became very hard to process (that was the first big death "in the family" since my Grandfather 5 years ago).

However, closest, and in many ways dearest of the more recent ones, was my...step-step-grandfather, just a couple of weeks ago. He married my step-grandmother recently, and was a very sweet guy---very kind, funny, all of these things. Sharp as a tack, nothing like many of the "old man" stereotypes, which was refreshing. He was very kind to Judy (my step-grandmother), and we all very much liked him.

Second was the inescapable Pittsburgh legend Myron Cope. This man was Pittsburgh football in the same way Cowher or Bettis was. Yoi and Double-Yoi! Basically, if you haven't spent time in the steel city, it probably won't make sense---but for those of you who have...yeah. A legend.

The third occured this morning---Gary Gygax, creator of D&D, AD&D, and more. Yes. Incredibly geeky as it may be, this man is directly responsible for a lot of happiness in my middle school (and current) life. So, pour one out on the curb for Gygax too.


Anyway---thought that all might deserve a word. Again---each of very, very different significance, but it felt right.

4 comments:

Nate said...

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/03/04

Might cheer you up a little.

Unknown said...

This one too:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0536.html
so I think we need to get our little D&D going... you know, to honor him and all.

Also, whatever you may have heard from Jay, Iron Man is not out yet. Call us and we'll work out something else for Sat.

Unknown said...

I read too many webcomics
http://xkcd.com/393/

Traveler72 said...

I'm sorry to hear about your step-step-grandfather, and also the Pittsburgh legend. As for Gary Gygax, I'm still figuring that one out myself, and I've got a game of DnD tomorrow (the last one before break) so that'll be a pretty solemn one.