Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Light in the Darkness

Officially finished with GreenPeace today. I'm sad to leave the Team, and really enjoyed my time there, but it had become time to move on. So the quota-missing came right at the right point. Nice time at the office meeting this morning, saying bye to everyone, etc.

On the plus side: I suddenly had a day completely empty! It was slightly amazing. I spent a bit of time at B&N, then went home, had a hot lunch (mm...trader joe's pad thai noodles...) and then went off into the world. On a whim, I decided to go see I Am Legend...and was pleased. Not ridiculously so, but pleased nonetheless. The "vampires" were pretty lame, especially when compared to those in "30 days of Night", but much of the rest of the movie made up for it. Especially the dog, and the mannequins (the two of which did some of the best acting in the movie--Will Smith was great, don't get me wrong...but this dog was KEY).

A friendly warning, however: don't go in expecting the book (which is very different, and maybe a better story, but probably would have made a fairly lackluster movie). Has anyone else out there both seen and read the thing? I'd love to chat about what folks thought.
Cool previews for both the second Batman and "Prince Caspian"--even though I was fairly un-enthused about the first Narnia movie, I was swayed by the preview. Hopefully I won't be totally disappointed.

Also--though I do sometimes enjoy seeing movies alone, this was a very, very bad choice. A movie about the last man on earth...viewed sitting by oneself...puts you in a weird headspace.

However--we should be fine. Went to Trader Joe's, got my last batch of groceries before I leave, and then work at the Bailiwick---after saturday and sunday, I'll be done there too. Weird.

1 comment:

Spelunker said...

I saw "I Am Legend" last night and really liked it (though of course I was devastated by the dog). I'm very curious about the book now--does it explain anything about that male vampire leader who seems to have it out for the good doctor? Also their mouth movements reminded me of "The Mummy."

In other news, I flipped out over the Prince Caspian preview: it's one of my favorite books in the Narnia series. Very cool, much less "religious". And yay Heath Ledger as the new Joker! Should be very good...