Thursday, December 27, 2007

Home for the Holidays

I'm in Columbus, spending time with Dad/Stepmother/Sister/Stepbrothers. Its a lot of fun, and these days I generally only see my brothers once a year or so. Went to a hockey game, went to the mall (so out of my element--though I did find two pairs of dress pants and a pin-stripe shirt that makes me look like a banker), and hung around and read a bunch. Watched a little bit of Rome, which is exciting and disappointing all at the same time. I dunno--I feel like because I have a better grasp on some of the smaller individuals (Pompey, Cato, etc), I come away from episodes upset at artistic license which wouldn't trouble the hoi poloi. I guess its a fine show, and I might watch an episode or two more...but nothing like some of the other excellent pieces of televised cinema I've partaken of recently (West Wing, BSG, Firefly...just so you know where my allegiances lie).

Pompous decelerations aside, things are well. Good progress has been made on what has a tentative working title of "War Stories," good food, nice time with family I haven't seen for a while. I go back to Pittsburgh for a few days, which will also be nice--flying in the night of the 24th (3 am?) was the first time I'd been back to the city since I moved to Chicago. I'd like a bit of time to take it in, relax, see friends, etc.

I think overall, its nice to have this bit of time to spend in Columbus and Pittsburgh, away from the bustles of Chicago and Gambier (very different bustles...but regardless).

I'm really in doubt as to whether that's an ok word to pluralize when you're talking about multiple instances of civic commotion, rather than a pillow for a feminie posterior.

Its like I'm trying to make up for not understanding the social rules of grammar by using big words. Yeah? Yeah.

Hope everyone is having a lovely stretch of holidays! Best to all of your families.

Take care,

Jeff

2 comments:

S0PHIE8 said...

So you aren't going to be in Pittsburgh around January 11? That's too bad!

Nate said...

If your travels take you near Cleveland at any point, drop Kari and I a line (we're only two and a half hours away from either Pittsburgh or Gambier!).