Saturday, September 8, 2007

Music, theatre, and a whole bunch of walking

Interesting El ride home.

(No, Julia, not as "interesting" as yours...I can't compete, sorry. Interesting nonetheless)

I was reading a book on producing/managing a theatre company, and a guy who had been on the train for a while asked me if I was in the theatre. Wasn't quite sure how to react, but we talked for a while. Turns out he's in the industry in Chicago, currently an admin at one of the theatres around here, and had a lot of very interesting advice on getting started/keeping a theatre alive in the city (his training was in NFP company management). Nice guy, have his phone number. Check.

Is there anything the El can't do? I mean, really?

Otherwise, a big day for walking around, exploring the city, and eating filling food near a German festival. We also found the Old town school of Folk music, which is just about the coolest place ever, as far as I can tell. Once I get a job, hopefully I'll have the chance to take some lessons---harmonizing? Maybe a mandolin class or two? Huge building, middleaged guy hanging around the foyer with a guitar, directing people where to go, a big music store...if I disappear sometime soon, check there first.

Very quick plea for help----is there a common synonym for "Socially active" (as in, a piece of art raising awareness of poverty in the midwest is "socially active") that comes off the top of people's heads that I can't think of? Send them to me, if you can---I'm running into a brick wall here. Politically active is close, but distinct enough that it doesn't really work. Help me out if you can, folks.

Hope all is well out in the world.

-J

No comments: