Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The fickle fascination of an everlasting god

Religion is a funny thing.

Sometimes, when I think about the universe, I find it very hard not to stick my fingers in my ears, bury my head under something, and run screaming into the arms of religion. I guess, a very human reaction.

Other times, especially when confronted with the immensity, I can't understand how one can rationally believe. I mean, for instance, the shear longevity of the universe (13 or 15 billion years, I believe) makes the idea that this reality was in some way created for us absurd. Even more so that the most important event in the universe happened 2000 years ago. In a way, its almost a relief---being that small.

Then again, I guess the whole point of religion isn't to rationally believe in anything. Its an irrational belief that helps one get through one's day. That makes perfect sense to me---though I think I'll keep my faith elsewhere.


Which is to say, I'm back in Columbus for the morning, off to Gambier soon. There is a beautiful thunderstorm with lots of lightning outside, and a fascinating article on dark matter and the expanding universe in Monday or Tuesday's science section of the NYT. I recommend checking it out.

5 comments:

Traveler72 said...

Wow I just might get it. What was your character concept? I know a little about the court system (Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter) and what each faction stands for, but apart from that and the general idea of the game I don't know much else. What'd you think overall? Any fun moments?

Recently, I've been getting really into Exalted - you've played that, right? If not, DO. It seems to me like a game after your own heart. Since its characters are modeled in part after Greek heroes - larger than life with demi-god powers.

And, of course, I playfully disagree with you about religion and thinking God is just a way to get through the day (especially because large numbers aren't the only significant thing in this magnificent universe. That's only what statisticians want everyone to believe. What about significance in action?), but these points aren't going to reach resolution on a blog comment post.

How're you? How've you been? What'd you think of crazy recent events like Indiana Jones, Iron Man, or Obama looking like he's going to be the Dem candidate?

Traveler72 said...

Yes, that does sound cool. And yeah, I'll see if I can catch you online sometime.

Nate said...

Jeffreh--

Making up an itinerary of arrivals. Any idea when exactly you're going to be rolling up?

--Nate

Nate said...

also ps is david coming with you kthxbye

Unknown said...

Not related to this post, but I figured this was the easiest way to leave you messages.

I thought of you when I read this comic.

http://www.reallifecomics.com/archive/080609.html

Have I mentioned that we're itching for a game?