Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Mission from God

Here we go again--longer update now? We'll see.

Been a nice couple of weeks. Lots of job applications, etc, etc...I won't talk about that, as it isn't very interesting.

Slightly more interesting (at least, to me):

-Finished draft 3.5-ish of War Music, finally getting to a better place. That's exciting.

-Have been two a couple of movies at Grant Park (The Odd Couple and most of Blues Brothers). Thoroughly wonderful experience, though we didn't make it through the movie last night--started pouring towards the end, and while we stayed for a while (and were soaked straight to the bone), when the rain began to drown out the dialog and singing, we packed it in. Riding the El soaked? Not that bad. Not having my book in the backpack ruined? Handy. Wearing a skirt all night because it was the only thing at my friend's house that fit?

Probably fairly expensive, when I'm running for president.

-Have been watching Youtube clips of "Whose line is it anyway?"...a wonderful diversion.

-Made a tough decision this morning. Was going to apply for a position at Greasy Joan and Co. theatre(Shakespearian & Classical theatre), as their "Resident Dramaturge." Was a long, hard choice not to just "go for it"...but ultimately the right one, I think. I had gotten over the fact that I've never really been a full dramaturge on a production---I feel like I was up to the challenge. However, it was non-paying, and as I'll be (hopefully) starting up a full time job very soon, I would have to deal with learning the ropes on both at the same time. This left me a little distressed--was I giving something up, not diving in with both feet? We need to take risks, etc, yadda yadda yadda. Really though, what sealed the deal for me was the new draft of "War Music." Really, that's my project for right now--I need to get that up on its feet somewhere in this town. I don't want to be diverting energy away from that at this point...too much work to be done.
So, I'm going to look for another way to work with Greasy Joan in the near future, maybe in something a bit smaller. I'll send them the writing sample I worked up, and see what happens.


Anyway---that's some of what is going on in life. I'll try to write again sometime soon. Hope you are all well.

No comments: